Sunday, September 2, 2012

Tough Day

 
Today was challenging on a number of levels. Most things here are pretty unpredictable. Each day is an adventure! However, one thing that is consistent here are the culture differences or even cultural conflict. Some things are just bound to happen when two cultures try to live with one another. It's never easy. Feelings tend to get hurt, especially among believers. Right when I think I have "mercy" down, God stretches me a little further. And He always gives the strength to do it.
 
 
Another challenge today was delivering school supplies to different poor families in the area. Rachel's church donated money for us to buy school supplies for underprivileged families. The first family we visited was Serbian. They have four children, all of which are in school. They live in a village outside the city. They have a little house (in need of many repairs), a small garden, and some animals out back. A couple of their pigs got loose and the mother was chasing them with a stick to get them back inside the fence! She was such a sweet, sweet woman. She gave us plums, peppers, and tomatoes from her garden as a gift. On top of giving them school supplies, we gave them clothes and shoes were also donated.
 
The second family was one of the poorest families I have ever met. The mother had 14 children! All of them were were about a year a part in age, the youngest being 6 months. One entire wall of their house was missing, exposing the inside of their home. I don't know what they are going to do in the winter time to keep the cold air out. There were flies and trash everywhere. We had to enter through the garage to get to their house, which had a broken down van inside and smelled of urine. Her children were so beautiful! Most of them had thick, curly had and wore mixed-match boys and girls clothes. They were so quiet and sweet. The mother was so grateful for the backpacks and school supplies. They start school tomorrow. I walked out, asking God how I can better help them. Sometimes our help, if not appropriately done, can make things worse. I am praying that the HS will show me what their biggest needs are and how I can help meet those needs while I am here.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
Mother of 14 children, not all were present
 
 

 
Serbian family, just the two daughters are present in the photo.
Left to Right: Violeta (works with different Roma groups), two Serbian daughters (Ahh! I can't remember their names right now!), me, and Rachel
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I finally got to your blog and read several entries. It's great to hear your excitement and see how God is providing even during some tough days. It sounds as if the needs there can be overwhelming. I pray that you will be encouraged by the small difference you are making (it really isn't small) and be strengthened each day to meet the new challenges. Take care of you, jed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know, Dear Joy, that your prayer cards are on numerous bulletin boards on campus! :) Our hearts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for all your encouraging words! I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete